10.22.2014

the truth about college


Here's my cold hard honest opinion of college right now: it's awesome, and it kind of sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I really do love it. I love learning, I love the campus I'm on, i love the classes, and (generally?) love the lectures. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to this and generally love all that learning and studying entails.  (proof: i went to a used book sale yesterday and bought a biography on Felix Mendelssohn, William Melbourne, a history of the world in the first half of the 20th century, and a book on reading Robert Frost's poetry).

But here's the thing I'm not so wowed about: college is distracting away from the things that matter the most. Primarily, I'm finding I'm pushing away bible studies, prayer, serving the church, and valuing them as less important than the assignments that are threatening bad grades if i don't complete them on time. I'm also cutting our Sunday family get-togethers short for last minute studying before Monday tests, sometimes doing homework during dinner time, and even bringing textbooks on the way to church on sunday morning.

I detest this.

So what, do I drop out of school? That's not necessarily the answer. My sister, who was a former alumni of the same college, wisely said "You're a Christian first, and then a student, not the other way around." This is what I've been mulling over in my mind, been thinking on every time i pick up a text book and see my bible on my bookshelf. Ultimately, I can't let the impending doom of average or below average grades usurp the importance and vitality of the Bible and the church in my life. What's most important to me? the answer is without argument: Christ.

"Before I ever think student, I think Jesus, He's my identity." [ Matt Reagan]

3 comments:

  1. Hardest lesson of my junior year so far: you never lack time; you lack priority. :\ I'm with yah, girl...sometimes, I feel like I LITERALLY have no time for anything but school, but that's simply not true. God always provides for His children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Nat. I'm right there with ya this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya! I had the same thing when I was at uni. I did drop out...not an option I necessarily recommend. Your sister is right :-) It's so important to keep our eyes on Christ at these times. Reading the Bible and walking with God are THE most important things. Study is important too, but it's so much harder and more heart-wrenching if the first thing isn't in place! Keep it up. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

comments are my favourite.